AESTHETIC AND RECONSTRUCTIVE PLASTIC SURGEON
Dr. Muhammad Zia ul Islam is a board-certified plastic surgeon in Karachi, Pakistan, specializing in reconstructive and aesthetic surgery of the breast, body, and face. His extensive education and experience reflect on his commitment on patient satisfaction and high standard of plastic surgery techniques, safety, and care.
AMONG KARACHI BEST PLASTIC SURGEONS
Dr. Zial ul Islam specializes in Breast Augmentation, Breast Lift, Breast Reduction, Liposuction, Tummy Tuck, Facelift, Rhinoplasty and Blepharoplasty. He also offers minimally invasive procedures with no downtime such as fat grafting, thread lift, Botox, and fillers. Dr. Zia is among Karachi best Plastic Surgeons and is committed to achieving long-lasting and natural results that bring harmony and proportion. Procedures are performed at state of art clinics with all the safety conditions for his patients – Aga Khan Hospital and Cooper Clinic.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
After early education in Habib Public School and D J Science College, at the age of 18, Dr. Zia ul Islam was accepted to the prestigious Army Medical College, Rawalpindi. He studied medicine for 5 years and graduated with Honors. On graduation he was commissioned in Pakistan Army as Captain. He worked in Army at different locations for 26 years. During this he underwent intense and extensive surgical training at CMH Rawalpindi. He obtained fellowships in General Surgery and later in Plastic Surgery from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan. Considering his surgical talents and dedication he was selected by the GHQ for specialized training in UK. During this overseas fellowship he worked in the plastic surgery department of the John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, England. While in UK he also qualified the Joint Inter Collegiate Specialty Board exam and obtained the diploma of FRCS(Plast) from the Royal College of Surgeons of England, London.
Army Medical College
Studied MBBS 5 years
Army Medical Corps
Served 26 years
College of Physicians and Surgeons, Pakistan
Fellow in Surgery
Fellow in Plastic Surgery
Royal college of Surgeons of Englan
Fellow in Plastic Surgery
Oxford NHS trust
Worked for 1 year
Pakistan Medical and Dental Council
Pakistan Association of Plastic Surgeons
Former General Secretary
Pakistan Society for Surgery of the Hand
After graduation Dr Zia did house job in Surgery and Medicine at PNS Shifa Karachi. After that he served in various parts of the country in Army’s field medical units. He started surgical training in 1998 at CMH Rawalpindi and later qualified the FCPS in general surgery. 3 years later he was asked to join plastic surgery and start training in this specialized field. He completed this too and passed the FCPS exam in plastic surgery. He worked as consultant plastic surgeon in CMH Panu Aqil, PNS Shifa, CMH Peshawar and CMH Malir.
He was promoted to Major in 1999 and then to Lt Col in 2008. He left military service as Lt Col in 2018 after serving honorably in uniform for 26 years.
COMITTED TO HELPING OTHERS
Deeply committed to helping others, Dr. Zia ul Islam provided medical services in conflict zones and areas affected by natural disasters.
- Siachin Conflict (1998-99): he provided medical services at the world highest battlefield.
- Kargil Conflict (1999): he was undergoing training in General Surgery at CMH Rawalpindi when the conflict started, he was part of the team that managed the casualties from the front line.
- Kashmir Earthquake 2005: during the Kashmir Quake of 2005, Dr. Zia was attached to the Military Hospital in Rawalpindi that was the major hospital receiving women and children from all the affected areas. Teams of plastic surgeons from Lahore and UK supported him. He performed over 250 major plastic surgery procedures during the 3 months period after the quake.
- Fire on PNS Moawain: during the third year of his training in Plastic Surgery Pakistan Navy’s ‘PNS Moawin’ had a fire accident. He was flown to Karachi as part of a three-member team to aid and support the consultant plastic surgeon already at PNS Shifa Naval Hospital in looking after the 122 victims of the accident.
- APS Attack Peshawar (2014): he was posted in CMH Peshawar at the time when Army Public School in Peshawar was attacked in Dec 2014. 110 injured students were received and managed.
- War on Terror (Waziristan Agencies 2012-2015): He provided general surgery and plastic surgery services at various field hospitals in the South and North Waziristan Agencies while posted as consultant plastic surgeon in CMH Peshawar.
Rotation-transposition correction of nasal deformity in Tessier number 1 and 2 clefts.
Rashid M, Islam MZ, Tamimy MS, Haq EU, Aman S, Aslam A.
Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2009 Nov;46(6):674-80. Epub 2009 May 17.
Quality of life assessment in patients with locally advanced head and neck malignancy after ablative surgery and reconstruction with microvascular free flaps.
Rizvi TA, Rashid M, Ahmed B, Haq EU, Sarwar SU, Zia-ul-Islam M, Tamimy MS.
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2009 Feb;19(2):108-12.
Limb salvage in malignant tumours of the upper limb using vascularised fibula.
Rashid M, Hafeez S, Zia ul Islam M, Rizvi ST, ur Rehman S, Tamimy MS, Aman S.
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2008 Jun;61(6):648-61. Epub 2007 Dec 26.
The ‘expansile’ supraclavicular artery flap for release of post-burn neck contractures.
Rashid M, Zia-Ul-Islam M, Sarwar SU, Bhatti AM.
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2006;59(10):1094-101. Epub 2006 Jun 30.
Tuberculous tenosynovitis: a cause of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
Rashid M, Sarwar SU, Haq EU, Islam MZ, Rizvi TA, Ahmad M, Shah K.
J Pak Med Assoc. 2006 Mar;56(3):116-8.